The Ostia Antica tour with Kids Tours of Rome is a wonderful private tour that is a perfect alternative if you’re unable to visit Pompeii during your next holiday trip to Italy. This lesser known (and less crowded) venue is just outside of Rome’s city center near the Fiumicino Airport and was at one time one of the most important trading ports of the Roman Empire. Don’t let everyone’s general lack of education about this place fool you, our Ostia Antica tour for families is just amazing!
After the fall of the Great Roman Empire, Ostia eventually became a ghost town and nature took over. The port town was pilfered for building materials and overgrown for nearly one thousand years until excavations of the ancient ruins began in the 19th century.
Today, modern Ostia is a suburban seaside area outside of Rome and Ostia Antica is an interesting archeological park that archeologists continue to uncover. During our Tour of Ostia Antica for kids you can walk down the ancient roads, enter ancient businesses and apartment buildings, visit the government center, see the theater that once held about 4,000 spectators, and more.
During our Ostia Antica tour for kids, you’ll see wonderfully preserved mosaics and a small museum for viewing some of the more delicate excavations and original statues from the site. Your expert guide will navigate you and your family through the ruins while telling stories of how the early Romans lived, show you were they ate, and lead your family efficiently through this large site.
Ostia Antica is best seen with a guide who knows the history there and can clearly explain everything you see. It is a perfect venue for families with children of all ages. Come discover this lost city with one of our family friendly guides for an unforgettable experience!
Book your tour now by contacting us for the times and dates available during your trip.
- Tickets are required for this tour. Your reservation specialist will provide the necessary information during the booking process.
- We require at least 24 hours notice to book this tour. During high season it is extremely difficult to locate available guides and may not be possible. Two weeks or more ahead is recommended.
- The private walking tour lasts approximately 2.5 hours.
- Your guide speaks fluent English, Spanish, German or Italian and is reserved only for your family.
- You are allowed to take photographs on this tour. Bring the selfie sticks on this one if you want.
- This tour continues regardless of the weather except in extreme and dangerous conditions. This tour is nearly all outdoors with some shaded areas. Please bring appropriate protection from sun and rain as needed. Bottled water is recommended on hot days and can be refilled at various fountains. There is a cafeteria on the site.
- Transportation is not included in the tour fee, but it can be arranged separately. Inquire to your reservation specialist for the rates if you would like to add-on this option.
- This tour is not available on Mondays, first Sundays, and major holidays.
Ostia Antica is an archaeological site that represents the former main port of ancient Rome, located less than 30 kilometers from the site. Ancient Ostia was located at the mouth of the Tiber River, but due to the constant application of the silt, but it is now about 3 kilometers upstream. Our Tour of Ostia Antica for kids is just something you should not miss.
There is no better place in whole Italy where you can get the true sense of life and looks of the ancient Roman city, head toward the former harbor that has been dug up with all the theater, housing blocks, and bathrooms.
A lot of Italians says that Ostia Antica is as atmospheric as Pompeii, but with much less “tourists”. Everyone is free to explore here and to get proper answers about the everyday life of the Ancient Romans.
If you count on our trained guides, then it’s clear that you will get the best Ostia Antica tour for kids.
Ostia Antica is known as one of the most valuable archaeological sites, not just in Italy, but also in the whole world. There are many buildings, monuments, and artifacts from the Roman era. In the vicinity, there is a modern city of Ostia.
This famous Italian city was founded around 640 BC by the fourth Roman king Ancus Marcius. Known for the wetlands from which the salt was taken and transported by the Road of salt. Ostia was an important port for the delivery of cereals from Sicily and Sardinia and the trading center of the Roman Empire. During our kid-friendly tour in Ostia Antica, you can explore every its corner, and every monument in this ancient town.
Here you can visit the bakery that rules bread and pastries for several thousand citizens of Ostia Antica or a series of public toilets that the ancient Romans used. Also, our family trip to Ostia Antica will help you to get answers to questions about the way architectural construction used by the Romans.
At the height of development, Ostia was in the 2nd and 3rd century when it counted about 75,000 inhabitants. From this time very well preserved ruins that are excavated and researched since the middle of the 19th century.
The famous Battle of Ostia took place in 849. Pope Gregorius IV established the city after the battle and crossed it into Gregoriopolis. Our guided-tour of Ostia Antica with kids will respond to your questions about the whole Roman culture in a funny and educative manner.